SIGN IN
Email address: Password:
loading...
Not a member?
Speeders Fight Back: Taking the Excuses from the Car to the Court Room
TV-14 D, L
Odd Facts from America's Highways
Odd Facts from America's Highways

Speeding (and Driving Safety) by the Numbers

  • • Men receive more speeding tickets than women, but more women fight their tickets.
  • • Thanks to an old law still on the books, members of the Georgia state assembly cannot be ticketed for speeding while the assembly is in session.
  • • Built in 1894, Henry Ford's first motor vehicle only went forward.
  • • Traffic lights were used even before automobiles were invented. In 1868, a lantern with red and green signals was used at a London intersection to help control the flow of horse buggies and pedestrians.
  • • Film actor and director Harry Myers got the world's first speeding ticket in 1904 in Dayton, OH. Police busted Myers for going 12 miles per hour.
  • • Doctors receive more speeding tickets than any other profession.
  • • According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 75% of surveyed drivers admitted to driving over the speed limit within the past month. The other 25% were lying.
  • • In 1966, Brooklyn, OH was the first city in America to mandate seat belts while driving.
  • • New Jersey drivers convicted of driving while intoxicated are not allowed to apply for personalized license plates.
  • • Over half of all reported crashes occur within five miles of the driver's home. Only 1% of crashes take place more than 50 miles from home.
  • • Over 41,000,000 tickets for speeding were written nationwide in 2003.
  • • The average American speeding fine is about $120.
  • • Virginia has the most expensive speeding tickets in the U.S. A first-time speeder can get slapped with a fee as much as $1,350. Only Virginia residents, however, are subject to the costlier penalties.
  • • Only about one out of every fifteen drivers fights his or her speeding ticket in court.
  • • One of the fastest speeding tickets in the world was written by an officer in Wabasha, MN. He clocked a motorcyclist going 205 mph in a 65 mph zone.
  • • The top ten states that award the most speeding tickets are (in order): Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, California, Texas, Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, Massachusetts and Connecticut.
  • • The world's most expensive speeding ticket was given to a 27-year-old sausage heir, who was clocked in Helsinki, Finland in 2003 for driving 80 kilometers per hour (about 50 mph) in a 40 kmh zone. The ticket was a whopping 170,000 Euros (almost $250,000), because Finland's speeding tickets are relative to the offender's income.
  • • According to a survey by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 22% of drivers under 30 reported that they believe there is too much police enforcement of speeding. Just 8% of drivers over 30 felt the same way.
  • • It is estimated that speeding is a factor in about a third of all traffic fatalities.
Like Speeders Fight Back? Check Out:
Shows
Speeders
Our cameras capture real-life motorists at their worst.
TSG Presents
Stupid has never been funnier.
Clown Car
Officer thinks there's something funny about this driver.
Fast Times at Laguna Beach High
Young partiers barely squeak under the blood alcohol limit.
Welcome to truTV.com!

Your account has been created and a welcome message has been sent to you via email.
Channel Finder
X
truTV IS AVAILABLE IN

Please fill out the form below to begin your personalized letter to {provider} demanding truTV.

* denotes required field

Below is a letter to {provider} demanding that truTV be added to their lineup. Please read and click Send to have it sent to {provider}.

Dear {provider},

Sincerely,

{name}

Thanks for supporting truTV!

Loading